D&D Online Interview
Joe "OuTkAsT-1" Topolnisky
MMORPG.com has sat down with Turbine Entertainment's David Eckelberry for a quick Q&A regarding their upcoming massively multiplayer online RPG, Dungeons & Dragons Online. They cover everything from racial abilities to how the death system will be handled. Here's a blurb:
MMORPG.com: With the real time combat system you are implementing, how do you plan to include feats like Cleave and Power Attack?
David Eckelberry: Tackling some feats is easy, especially when the pen-and-paper implementation is directly transferable to our medium. Power Attack, for example, doesnt need any real change. Its a mode the player goes into; while in this mode, the character hits less often, but does more damage when he hits. No problem. A lot of feats meet this sort of direct application.
But some dont. DD Onlines combat system doesnt make use of some pen-and-paper elements, largely thanks to being an online role-playing game. We arent turn-based, we dont have rounds of combat, and thus Cleave cant give you an extra attack in a round that you down a foe. When examining feats such as these, my goal is to produce the intent of the original feat (or skill or effect), while making the necessary adaptation for good videogame play. In the specific example of Cleave, use of this feat allows the character to make an area effect melee attack in a small arc in front of the character.
- SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD Solid State Drive Review
- ZOTAC GTX 680 AMP! Edition Graphics Card Review
- Vertex 450 256GB Solid State Drive Reivew
- Seagate HDD.15 4TB Hard Drive Review
- EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC ACX Graphics Card Review
- Lenovo Y500 15.6-inch Gaming Notebook Review
- Google Glass Review
- Diamond Radeon HD 7790 1GB Graphics Card Review
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Graphics Card Review
- Intel Z87 50+ Motherboard Line-up Preview