Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar Review
Joe "OuTkAsT-1" Topolnisky
Hitting us with a little evening reading, PC.IGN has thrown together a review on Stardock's latest Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords expansion pack, Dark Avatar. Scoring an impressive 9/10, this one might be a nice addition to check out. Anyways, here's some lovin':
Perhaps the most significant and satisfying gameplay change is the inclusion of environmental restrictions for colonization. In Dread Lords we, like many players, preferred to grab as many habitable planets as possible before worrying too much about things like infrastructure or technology or warships. Sure, it sometimes left you open for a massive attack, but it was the surest way to establish a solid foundation for the middle game.
This time around many of the planets are off-limits until you've researched the technology required to colonize them. And since there are different technologies for different environmental hazards, you'll really have to choose carefully. These technologies are also relatively expensive as well, so any effort you put into researching them is going to mean you're neglecting something else. In all it's an excellent way to kind of put a check on the colony rush that most players have been using.
- Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler Review
- NZXT Source 530 Full Tower Case Review
- Samsung 840 EVO 1TB Solid State Drive Review
- Mad Catz S.T.R.I.K.E. 3 Gaming Keyboard Review
- Cooler Master Nepton 140XL Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- OCZ Vector 150 120GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD Review
- MSI Z87 MPower Max LGA1150 Motherboard Review
- FUNC KB-460 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Reviews
- Corsair Voyager GS 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- DIAMOND Xtreme Sound 7.1 XS71HD PCI-E Sound Card Review