PNY PC2-6400 CL3 DDR2 Memory Kit Review
Patrick "MACMAC" MacMillan
In March, PNY entered the high-end memory sector with its XLR8 series of products. Since then, their PC2-8500 and PC2-9384 memory kits have received excellent reviews. While these aforementioned memory kits are both highly clocked, the company also produces low-latency modules. Legit Reviews has tested the PNY PC2-6400 CL3 DDR2 memory Kit, which is rated for 3-4-4-8 at 2.3v.
Heres what they had to say:
The only problem that I have with this particular kit of memory is the price. The least expensive price I could find online was $315 from Tiger Direct. Compared to 6 months ago this price is a steal for CAS 3 DDR2 800MHz but you can get PNYs XLR8 4-4-4-12 800MHz kit for less than half the price at $149. So for the price of the CAS 3, 2GB kit you could have 4GB of the CAS 4, which in may be a better deal for some. You should really keep in mind that this memory is the elite memory kit from PNY and is a great deal for CAS 3 memory. Its an ambitious move that I applaud PNY for as there are very few companies offering CAS 3 options at 800MHz and even fewer at this price.
The very high price and the voltage required for Cas 3 operation are the main problems with this product. If you really want to run at Cas 3, I suggest you pick up a cheap kit of Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500, most of which will run at 800Mhz 3-3-3 at around 2.1-2.3 volts.
Click here to read the full review.
Please head over to our discussion board to talk about this news (registration not required).
- Storm Skorpion Mouse Bungee Review
- Fractal Design Tesla R2 1000W Power Supply Review
- Asus Z87 1150 Motherboard Line-up Preview
- MSI Radeon HD 7790 Turbo OC 1GB Video Card Review
- Logitec G700s Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming Edition Motherboard Review
- EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST SC 2GB Graphics Card Review
- OCZ Vertex 3.20 120GB Solid State Drive Review
- Seagate 600 480GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD Review
- Cooler Master V Series 1000 Watt Power Supply Review