LG Flatron L206WU 20-inch LCD Monitor Review
Patrick "MACMAC" MacMillan
bit-tech has posted a review of the LG Flatron L206WU 20-inch LCD widescreen monitor, which features an innovative DisplayLink USB 2.0 interface.
Heres an excerpt:
In all likelihood, DisplayLink's bandwidth and signal integrity demands are bumping up against the upper boundaries of what USB 2.0 is capable of, and thus only in absolutely ideal conditions does it deliver acceptable performance. With that in mind, DisplayLink will probably have to wait for the widespread adoption of USB 3.0 before it really adds up as a technology.
All of which means you don't get a great deal of benefit in return for the price premium the L206WU demands. Underneath it's a decent panel that looks...unique...and if you can live with the performance issues, it's certainly a handy little monitor to have knocking around for those moments when a conventional display interface is impractical or impossible. But for heavy duty, day-to-day usage, DisplayLink is not yet a goer.
Overall, this is very interesting technology, with many possible applications. However, as mentioned in the article, it will only be a viable alternative once the USB 3.0 standard becomes mainstream. Until then, LG and DisplayLink should work on optimizing the interface so that it consumes fewer CPU cycles.
Click here to read the full review.
Please head over to our discussion board to talk about this news (registration not required).
- MadCatz M.O.U.S.9 Bluetooth Mouse Review
- ASUS GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC Graphics Card Review
- Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 850W Power Supply Review
- Attitude One Saiga Gaming Mousepad Review
- Mad Catz S.T.R.I.K.E. 5 Gaming Keyboard Review
- Func MS-3 Gaming Mouse Review
- NZXT Phantom 630 Full Tower Case Review
- AMD A10-6800K Richland APU Review
- ASUS RT-AC66U 802.11ac Wireless-AC1750 Router Review
- Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Case Review