Intel Larrabee GPU/GPGPU Details
Patrick "MACMAC" MacMillan
TechGage has published new details regarding the upcoming Intel Larrabee architecture.
Heres an excerpt:
The architecture itself is fascinating, because it differs substantially from the typical GPUs. Instead of a single massive GPU core on-board, Larrabee will feature numerous Pentium-derived cores that are redesigned to better handle applications of all sorts in the visual computing scheme of things. Just how effective this method of scaling will prove to be in real-world application is yet to be seen, and it's sure going to be hard to wait.
Intel did provide performance scaling information, as seen in the chart above, and while it does give us a brief idea of the performance, it in no way gives us a real-world idea of what to expect. Eight cores might have delivered 25% of the performance of thirty-two cores, but that doesn't mean much if the eight cores mustered 4FPS in a randomly selected title.
For those interested in even deeper specifics regarding how Larrabee can improve graphic rendering (transparency, handling irregular Z-buffer, etc), Intel will be giving an in-depth presentation at SIGGRAPH next week in Los Angeles, and I'm sure many game development websites will be publishing lots of information on that.
I cant wait to see some real benchmark figures, but that is definitely still a long time away!
Click here to read the full article.
PC Perspective has also just posted a similar article.
Please head over to our discussion board to talk about this news (registration not required).
- Lenovo Erazer X700 Gaming Desktop PC Review
- Cooler Master Storm Power-RX Mouse Pad Review
- Synology DiskStation DS1513+ 5-Bay NAS Review
- Gigabyte Aivia Uranium Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Western Digital Black² 1TB Dual Drive Reviews
- MSI GT70 2OC 17.3-inch Gaming Notebook Review
- Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W Power Supply Review
- Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO CPU Cooler Review
- Western Digital Red 4TB Hard Drive Review
- Corsair Vengeance K95 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review