Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550S Processor Review
Patrick "MACMAC" MacMillan
Legit Reviews have posted a review of the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550S, which is a special energy-efficient 65W model.
Here's what they had to say:
"For those that are building a small system or one with little airflow they need to look towards the Q9550, but get ready to dig a little deeper in your wallet. Intel is basically screening and taking the best parts for the low power 'S-series,' and as a result these processors carry a price premium of $103 over that of a regular 95W TDP Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, according to the Intel Processor Price List shown above. That puts the cost higher than the Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core Processor as it sells online for $294.99 with free shipping and the Core i7 920 was faster in the benchmarks. It wouldn't make sense to pay this price premium unless you really want to have lower power consumption or have a small form factor system where heat and power are areas of concern."
The Q9550S is a great idea, but given the huge price premium, you may as well buy a standard Q9550 and undervolt it yourself. The results might not be identical, but they surely won't be $100 off.
Click here to read the full review.
Please head over to our discussion board to talk about this news (registration not required).
- Lenovo Y500 15.6-inch Gaming Notebook Review
- Google Glass Review
- Diamond Radeon HD 7790 1GB Graphics Card Review
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Graphics Card Review
- Intel Z87 50+ Motherboard Line-up Preview
- Corsair Vengeance M95 Gaming Mouse Video Review
- Sapphire Radeon HD 7990 6GB QuadFire Performance Review
- Mad Catz F.R.E.Q. 5 Gaming Headset Review
- Crucial M500 480GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD Review
- Seagate HDD.15 4TB Hard Drive Review