HD 6870 & HD 6850 vs. GTX 460 1GB: An Overclocking Study
Patrick "MACMAC" MacMillan
Hardware Canucks have overclocked and compared the Radeon HD 6850, Radeon HD 6870 and GeForce GTX 460, otherwise known as the three most popular mainstream DirectX 11 GPUs on the market right now.
Here's what they had to say:
"If you are in the market for a sub-$250 graphics card and are comfortable with overclocking while being mindful of the pitfalls, then both the GTX 460 1GB and the HD 6850 should be considered front-runners. They both have some impressive headroom to spare and feature extremely competitive price points. The HD 6870 on the other hand is a purebred racehorse but has tightly constrained overclocking limits at its reference voltage.
For the time being, certain pre-overclocked GTX 460 1GB cards can give NVIDIAs board partners a slight to significant edge over the HD 6870. You can also buy these NVIDIA cards right now while AMD's board partners aren't quite ready to release products sporting the clock speeds we saw in this article. However, AMDs AIBs will soon have their own take on pre-overclocking so the market is surely in for some great competition between the $150 and $250 price points in the coming months."
This is a must-read article if you're considering one of these 3 new GPUs.
Click here to read the full review.
Please head over to our discussion board to talk about this news (registration not required).
- Seagate Laptop SSHD Thin 500GB Hybrid Drive Review
- NZXT H630 Ultra Tower Case Review
- MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming Edition Motherboard Review
- Gigabyte 650 Ti BOOST Windforce 2X OC Graphics Card Review
- SteelSeries WoW: Legendary Edition Gaming Mouse Review
- Intel 525 Series 120GB & 180GB mSATA SSD Reviews
- Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Case Review
- Mionix Naos 8200 Gaming Mouse Review
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Smartphone Review
- PowerColor Radeon HD 7790 TurboDuo OC 1GB Graphics Card Review