AMD Radeon HD 6990 4GB Graphics Card Launched!
Patrick "MACMAC" MacMillan
So it looks like Hardware Canucks have posted the very first official review of the AMD's latest über-high-end graphics cards, the dual-GPU Radeon HD 6990 4GB. This monster features two Radeon HD 6970 GPUs with a total of 3072 shaders and a 4GB 2x256-bit 5000Mhz GDDR5 memory interface. Power consumption numbers? A lofty 450W uncapped, but really 'only' 375W thanks to AMD's clever PowerTune Max technology.
Let's see what they had to say:
"What we have with Antilles is an experience which is which is quite a bit different from the ones its predecessors put forth. Instead of shaky game support, a Dust Buster-like acoustical profile and rampant core heat, the HD 6990 currently has a good driver foundation which backstops some truly impressive performance results. The GPUs themselves are kept relatively cool by way of an innovative cooling system that is no louder than a pair of HD 6950 cards. Unfortunately, the voltage regulator hiss is annoying and can usually be heard above any noise the fan makes.
Power consumption numbers may seem stratospheric for a single card but thats the price one has to pay for class-leading framerates. With that being said, if put into context against competing dual card setups, AMDs choice to pick low leakage cores coupled with relatively low temperatures tends to keep overall power needs at a lower point than many would have expected."
Well AMD have just managed to displace the long reigning Radeon HD 5970 as the fastest graphics card on the market, but for how long? NVIDIA are hot on their tracks and will be unveiling their very own dual GeForce GTX 500 series graphics card imminently.
Click here to read the full review.
Here are some of the other reviews that have rolled into my inbox:
- AnandTech: AMD's Radeon HD 6990: The New Single Card King.
- Benchmark Reviews: AMD Radeon HD 6990 Antilles Video Card.
- Benchmark Reviews: Sapphire 100310SR Radeon HD 6990.
- eTeknix: Sapphire Radeon HD 6990 4GB Graphics Card Review.
- HardwareHeaven: AMD Radeon HD 6990 Graphics Card Review.
- HardwareHeaven: Sapphire Radeon HD 6990 CrossFire Review.
- Hexus: AMD Radeon HD 6990 4GB graphics card reviewed and rated.
- HotHardware: AMD Radeon HD 6990 Review: Antilles Has Arrived.
- Hardware Secrets: AMD Radeon HD 6990 Video Card Review.
- KitGuru: AMD Radeon HD6990 Review.
- KitGuru: HIS HD6990 Dual CrossfireX Review.
- PC Perspective: AMD Radeon HD 6990 4GB Dual GPU Cayman Graphics Card.
- Techgage: AMD Radeon HD 6990 Dual-GPU Graphics Card Review.
- techPowerUp: ASUS Radeon HD 6990 4 GB.
- techPowerUp: PowerColor Radeon HD 6990 CrossFire.
- Tech Report: AMD's Radeon HD 6990 graphics card - Uber without the umlaut.
- TechSpot: AMD Radeon HD 6990 Review: Sumptuous Dual-GPU Power.
- Tom's Hardware: AMD Radeon HD 6990 4 GB Review: Antilles Makes (Too Much) Noise.
Please head over to our discussion board to talk about this news (registration not required).
- Storm Skorpion Mouse Bungee Review
- Fractal Design Tesla R2 1000W Power Supply Review
- Asus Z87 1150 Motherboard Line-up Preview
- MSI Radeon HD 7790 Turbo OC 1GB Video Card Review
- Logitec G700s Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming Edition Motherboard Review
- EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST SC 2GB Graphics Card Review
- OCZ Vertex 3.20 120GB Solid State Drive Review
- Seagate 600 480GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD Review
- Cooler Master V Series 1000 Watt Power Supply Review